Monday, October 3, 2011

Hand-Me-Downs

I'm a hoarder.  Once I get my hands on something, it's hard for me to let it go.  My office has been a giant inbox, which periodically gets de-cluttered.  But, most of the time, it's an eyesore and I close the door rather than deal with it.  

About five years ago, my daughter and I learned how to knit and weave.  We spent a few weeks with my grandmother and she taught us both, on her needles and looms (can you believe someone would have 3 looms in their house).  My grandmother knit sweaters for me and my sister when we were kids.  Weaving was the craft she shared with my aunt and seemed to be the activity she was most proud of.

So, my daughter and I learned to knit and purl that summer.  We made scarves a couple of times and then the needles and yarn went into a basket on one of the top shelves in my office. 

A couple of weeks ago, I began to think about knitting again.  What brought this on?  I had crocheted some beanies for my nieces and wanted to make something to match.  But, I began to realize that it has been a really long time since I last knitted.  And, this time I will be doing it solo (grandma passed away almost 2 years ago).  I felt a bit overwhelmed, but I remembered that I have a bunch of yarn stashed away.   I put it out of sight because I don't like the color or the feel (it was given to me by a family friend when she was cleaning out her mother-in-law's house, and remember that I can't throw away anything, even stuff that isn't really mine).  The lightbulb turned on - I don't need to warehouse this yucky stuff if I use it to practice my stitches and tension. 

Here are some of the needles from Grandma:

Grandma kept her needles in the original packages.

Can you believe these prices?

And here's what I've been practicing:
It looks like I have a lot of practicing to do before beginning those sweaters.  I'm glad that the yarn I used for the beanies is chunky and forgiving.

So, hoarding the hand-me-downs has proved functional - I have plenty of needles and a bunch of yarn to practice.  But, will put it away and take another 5-year hiatus.   I hope not - I am finding knitting to be quite relaxing. 

Now, where will one of Grandma's looms live in my home?  That is my next hand-me-down I'm looking forward to be-friending.  Maybe, I'll clean out my office and find a place to showcase it.  Maybe, I'll keep my office tidy and enjoy weaving in there with my daughter. 

1 comment:

  1. Three looms? Wow! And your swatches look great! I'm sure it won't be long until you start a sweater! Happy blogtoberfest!

    ReplyDelete